Here is a digest of the latest news from the RPCA, including updates from the City of Ottawa and our River Ward City Councillor.
Download the minutes from the October 7, 2020 Annual General Meeting of the Riverside Park Community Association.
Join the first meeting of the new term of office for the RPCA Board of Directors at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, November 4, 2020. The meeting will be open to the public.
Councillor Riley Brockington will be joining us to deliver his monthly report.
Once the meeting has started, you can simply click below to join the meeting online, or use the dial-in number below.
- Call to Order
- Minutes of the October 7, 2020 Annual General Meeting
- Minutes of the October 7, 2020 Board Meeting
- Report: Riley Brockington, River Ward Councillor
- Report: RPCA Board of Directors
- New Business
7.1. Receipt of Updated By-Laws
7.2. Schedule of Meetings for 2021
Be it resolved that the following meeting dates be scheduled for 2021:
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Annual Meeting of the Members: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 – Immediately following the Annual Meeting of the Members
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, November 3, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
• Board of Directors: Wednesday, December 1, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
(Moved: Joel Duff)
7.3. Halloween Wrap-Up
Whereas the RPCA’s Halloween Activities for 2020 were an unqualified success, despite the precarious nature of the pandemic; and
Whereas community fundraising efforts greatly exceeded expectations, generating a surplus that is expected to be over $1,000 when the account is settled; therefore
Be it resolved that the RPCA recognize the generous support of the community and the tireless efforts of all the volunteers who organized and promoted the events, bought and delivered candy and toys, assembled and distributed treat bags, wrote and read spooky stories, collected and donated pumpkins, paid or reimbursed bills, researched city bylaws and public health restrictions, shared their costumes online, and otherwise helped to retain the magic of Halloween for local children; and
Be it further resolved that 50% of the fundraising surplus be donated to the Ottawa Food Bank in the name of the RPCA and Riverside Park residents, and the remaining 50% be used to subsidize future community events.
(Moved: Joel Duff)
7.4. Traffic Safety/Calming: Photo Radar
7.5. Paget Park Puddle Rink Proposal
7.6. Paget Park Community Garden Proposal
- Other Business
• Big Brothers Big Sisters Ottawa Fundraising Breakfast: Tuesday, November 24, from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. To sign up, or for more information, visit: https://www.bbbso.ca/event/breakfast2020/
- Next Board of Directors Meeting: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
Download the Report of River Ward Councillor Riley Brockington for the October 7, 2020 Annual General Meeting of the Riverside Park Community Association (RPCA).
Download Part 2 of the AGM Report (Committees) to the October 7, 2020 Annual General Meeting of the RPCA.
Download Part 1 of the AGM Report (Board) to the October 7, 2020 Annual General Meeting of the RPCA.
The RPCA will be hosting a quick Board of Directors meeting immediately following the Annual General Meeting on Wed, October 7, 2020. The meeting will be open to the public and will allow the newly elected Board of Directors to select the officers for the 2020-2021 year.
You can RSVP for the AGM and use the same Zoom credentials.
- Call to Order
- Minutes of the September 2, 2020 Board Meeting
- Receipt of Electronic Motions:
- Motion to Recommend the 2019-2020 Financial Statements for Adoption
Be it resolved that 2019-2020 Financial Statements of the Riverside Park Community Association be received, as per the recommendation of the 2020 RPCA Financial Review Committee.
Moved: Barbara Haines/Joel Duff Carried (September 16, 2020)
- Motion: Nominations Committee Chair Appointment
Whereas Sandra Kearns has been forced to resign from the position of RPCA Nominations Committee Chair for personal health reasons; and
Whereas Councillor Riley Brockington has approved the release of Andrea Ward to oversee the RPCA election; therefore
Be it resolved that Andrea Ward be appointed as the RPCA Nominations Committee Chair for the AGM on October 7, 2020.
Moved: Joel Duff/ Carried (September 21, 2020)
- Motion: Approval of Election Buddy Contract for a Single Election
Be it resolved that the RPCA engage Election Buddy to host online Director Elections during the AGM on October 7, 2020, if necessary.
Moved: Joel Duff/Barbara Haines Carried (September 21, 2020)
- Motion to Appoint Interim Membership Outreach Coordinator
Whereas Sandra Kearns has had to temporarily step away from her role as RPCA Membership Outreach Coordinator for personal health reasons; therefore
Be it resolved that Leslie Sheedy be appointed as the Interim Membership Outreach Coordinator.
Moved: Joel Duff/Barbara Haines Carried (September 23, 2020)
- Motion to Set Proxy Deadline
Whereas the RPCA will be conducting its first online AGM and will have limited capacity to process proxy forms and verify memberships in real time, therefore
Be it resolved that a 48 hour deadline be set for receiving proxies.
Moved: Joel Duff/Mark Staz Carried (September 23, 2020)
- New Business
- Officer Elections
- Assignment of Committee Chairs
- Communications & Outreach
- Community Safety
- Environment & Parks
- Gardening Committee
- Land Use, Development, and Transportation
- Libraries Matter
- Recreation and Rinks
- Officer Elections
- Other Business
- Next Board Meeting: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 – 7:00 pm
Recent public health restrictions have forced us to scale back our Halloween plans, but the RPCA and Councillor Riley Brockington are committed to preserving the magic and mystery of Halloween through safe and free activities for all Riverside Park residents.
SORRY! REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR OUR HOME DELIVERED TREAT & ACTIVITY BAGS.
If you already registered, your bag(s) will be delivered to your door this evening between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM. All deliveries are contactless. Bags will be left on your door handle or door step and we will give a gentle knock as we leave.
If you do not receive your bags tonight, send an email with your name, address and quantity first thing in the morning to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is not available for NEW registrations (the deadline passed on October 29).
For those who missed the registration deadline, you can still participate in the following:
- Download our activity sheet.
- Submit photos of your costume in our Facebook gallery.
- Decorate your driveway for Halloween.
- Tune in to our live Spooky Story reading.
- Drop your jack-o-lantern off on Nov. 1 for our Pumpkin Alley on Mooney’s Bay Place.
We wish you all a safe and happy Halloween!
We wish you all a safe and happy Halloween.
Treat & Activity Bags Delivered Right to Your Door!
If you live in Riverside Park and registered before the deadline on October 29, we will safely deliver our treat and activity bags right to the door of all children under 12. Contactless delivery will take place in the evening of October 30. If you registered but did not receive your bag by 8 am on Halloween morning, then email email@example.com.
Each bag will be filled with treats, as well as detailed instructions for fun and family-friendly home-based activities.
Generous donations from local residents have enabled us to provide all treat bags for free.
All treat bags will contain nut-free treats and will be safely assembled prior to Halloween and delivered by COVID-screened volunteers wearing masks and gloves.
Home Based Activity Kit
Download the RPCA’s Halloween Activity Book. This book is included in all home-delivered treat bags, but is available FREE to download and print. It includes activites, jokes and more fun stuff. There are two versions of the bingo sheet, so kids can compete to complete rows, columns and diagonals.
These activities provide ideas for safe celebrations within your family bubble.
Click to download!
Online Costume Parade
Post photos of your costumes to the online gallery on the RPCA Facebook Page. This is a safe way to scroll through the community to look for familiar friends and to see all the fun and creative costumes our neighbourhood has to offer.
Live Spooky Story Reading
Decorate Your Driveway
Residents are encouraged to place their jack-o-lanterns at the end of the driveways, and to decorate their houses so local families can stroll about the neighbourhood admiring the community creativity.
On Sunday, November 1, residents are invited to place their jack-o-lanterns on the curb anywhere along Mooney’s Bay Place, where they will be on display throughout the day.
All jack-o-lanterns will be donated to an area pig-farm as a special treat to our cloven-hooved friends.
The deadline for nominations closed at 4:00 pm on Monday, October 5, 2020.
Click here to see the Election Slate for the 2020-2021 RPCA Board of Directors.
The RPCA will be holding elections for 9 Directors at the upcoming AGM on October 7:
- 2 positions in Riverside Park West (Mooney’s Bay neighbourhood)
- 2 positions in Riverside Park East (General Vanier neighbourhood)
- 2 positions in Riverside Park South West (Fielding/Otterson neighbourhood)
- 2 positions in Riverside Park South East (Southmore/Flannery neighbourhood)
- 1 position in Revelstoke
The term of office is two years, from October 2020 to October 2022, and Officers (President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary) will be elected from among the new directors, immediately following the AGM. There is no limit on the number of terms a Director may serve.
Submit Your Nomination Form
- Nominations must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, October 5, 2020.
- The member seeking election, and their seconder, must both be in good standing, with membership dues paid through to October 7, 2020.
- Candidates who reside in the area they seek to represent will be given priority, in accordance with the RPCA Bylaws, but if no candidate in that area comes forward, a resident from another neighbourhood in Riverside Park may be elected to that position.
- All positions that are not contested will be deemed elected by acclamation.
The 2020 Nominations Committee is: Andrea Ward (Chair), Carolyn Gauthier, and Marika Magro.
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- August 2018
- July 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- January 2016
- October 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013