Menu Close

Your Guide to Reporting

Being a good neighbour means paying attention to problematic activities in your community and reporting concerns to the appropriate authorities.

Even when reporting doesn’t result in apprehension, it is still valuable!

Reporting allows for tracking persistent problems and/or illegal activity to establish patterns, pinpoint causes, and justify the deployment of additional resources for affected communities. Accurate crime data allows our local Neighbourhood Response Team to target resources and monitor problem areas. Reports are always valuable, even if they are submitted after the event has ended.

However, you should never attempt to directly intervene in active incidents, film perpetrators, or otherwise put yourself in harm’s way. Let the police do their jobs!

Emergency Response

If an incident requires the immediate presence of a first responder (police, firefighters, paramedics, or other first responders), place an emergency call:


Reporting Non-Emergency Crimes

All non-emergency crime-related incidents should be reported to the Ottawa Police Service:

Online Reporting at
Call Centre: 613-236-1222
TTY: 613-760-8100 (deaf, deafened, hard of hearing)

Examples of non-emergency reporting are: theft, break-ins, theft from vehicles, traffic complaints, mischief, property damage, drug complaints, and fraud complaints.

You should also send incident reports to our Community Police Officer for Riverside Park:

Constable Marcus Cibischino

Reporting to Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers operates on the premise that for every crime that occurs someone other than the criminal knows about it.

The main factors that prevents people from calling the police about a crime are “apathy and fear of reprisal”.

Crime Stoppers addresses both issues by guaranteeing anonymity and offering a cash reward for tips leading to arrest/charges.

1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)
Online reporting through

Reports are taken by agents who do not have access to call display, call recording, or IP address identification. They cannot be compelled to testify in court.

Agents send information to appropriate investigative agency:

  • Police service;
  • By-law;
  • Ministry of Natural Resources;
  • Canada Revenue Agency

The Agency will follow up with Crime Stoppers and inform them of the outcome.

Reporting Traffic Complaints

These should be reported to the Ottawa Police, in the same manner as above.

Traffic incident reporting helps to identify hotspots and justify traffic calming measures.

Reporting Bylaw and Noise Complaints

Bylaw infraction and noise complaints can be made by:

Calling 3-1-1
Online Reporting through

This could include noise complaints in parks after the 11:00 p.m. curfew, house parties, shouting, barking dogs, house alarms, etc.

Reporting to Your Community Association

Of course, it is also helpful to share your reports with the RCPA. The best way to do that is through our Community Safety Committee: 

This will assist us in following up with police and the City during regular outreach. 

Related Posts